Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lady Gaga's VMA Fashion Was 'Over-The-Top,' Katy Perry Says

'I love all that kind of symbolism that she had on her dress, and she made a statement,' singer says of Gaga.By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by Audrey Kim





Lady Gaga at the 2010 VMAs

Photo: Kevin Mazur/ WireImage




Several days after the VMAs, everyone is still talking about Lady Gaga's somewhat glam, somewhat bizarre get-ups for the show. With experts pretty much loving Gaga's Franc Fernandez meat dress, fellow pop star Katy Perry says that with someone like Gaga, it's about more than just the design: It's about what she's trying to say with it.

"I think costumes are just a natural extension. I don't think you can just have the costumes and not have anything else. The costumes are the bells and whistles and bells and whistles can be really fun, but you have to have the spine, and I think that with Gaga, she's got the spine and she's got the costume," Perry told MTV News. "So, it can coexist."
Perry is quick to point out that if you're a pop artist trying to go over-the-top without saying anything, then you're not doing it right. "With me, I have the spine and I have the costumes, so we can coexist," she said. "Some people that are just like, 'Look at me, I have something on my face or head' -- I don't want to be specific because I don't even know what I'm trying to say -- they're just not following through. I like all that theatrical stuff, but at the end of the day, I like to strip it all off and sit down with my guitar and write a song."
With all that in mind, Perry, who looked equally fab at the VMAs, says that she really loved one of Gaga's VMA looks in particular. "I think her outfits are very Lady Gaga. It's like so over-the-top," she said. "I thought the Alexander McQueen outfit was stunning. I was like, 'Oh my god!' I love all that kind of symbolism that she had on her dress, and she made a statement with all the people next to her. I like the statement she made."



Related Videos


VMA 2010: Lady Gaga's VMA Moments


Related Photos


VMA 2010: Lady Gaga Lookbook


Related Artists


Lady Gaga


Katy Perry

Natalie Imbruglia Natalie Portman Natalie Zea Natasha Bedingfield Natassia Malthe

No comments:

Post a Comment